Recipe for Easy Never-Fail Mushroom Gravy
Gravy!Â The word often brings fear to a cook’s heart, which need not be.Â I would like to share a couple of my easy, tried and true, never fail mushroom gravy recipes!
In my years of professional cooking I have developed a wide variety of recipes.Â I love sharing my knowledge and successful recipes with other cooks, so here we go! This is a wonderful, savory gravy to serve over any Beef Roast, or Meatloaf.
Ingredients for Easy Never-Fail Mushroom Gravy:
- 1/2 cup fresh button mushroom, diced
- 1 cup sliced Cremini or Baby Portabella mushrooms
- 3 scallions, cut thin
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1-2 cups natural beef broth
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Directions for Easy Never-Fail Mushroom Gravy:
- In an 8 inch nonstick skillet, add all the olive oil.Â Set your burner at Medium High and add the scallions. (Use the white parts as well as the greens)Â Sautee these scallions until they begin to caramelize, 3-4 minutes, stir often.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the diced garlic and the butter. Â Let the garlic cook for 2 minutes, then add the diced Button Mushrooms and allow these to saute for a few minutes.
- Return the heat back up to Medium High and add the flour, stirring to combine it with the oils and butter in the skillet.Â Let the flour cook until it starts to brown slightly, this adds a nutty flavor to the gravy, and takes away the “flour” taste.
- Add the Crimini mushrooms.Â Let them sautÃ© and their flavor develop for 3 minutes or so in the pan before adding the broth.
- Once again reduce heat to low and add the beef broth, slowly stirring constantly.Â The gravy will thicken as it cooks.Â Remove from heat when it is the consistency you want.
- Pour your flavorful gravy into a pretty gravy boat or bowl, sprinkle with diced parsley leaves for color.