Recipe for Graham Cracker Sandwiches
As a child I was too fearful to eat “hot lunch” in the school cafeteria.Â My understanding mother made my lunch each day so I could get through lunchtime without tears.Â In these lunches she placed a little cookie she made.Â Oh how I loved sitting there in my classroom/make-shift lunch room eating those crisp on the outside and soft in the middle Graham Cracker Sandwiches!
Graham Cracker Sandwich
Recipe makes 4 square cookies
- 1 wax-wrapped package Graham Crackers
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. cream or milk
- 1 tbsp. cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-8 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions for Graham Cracker Sandwiches:
Remove crackers from wrapper, break each in two.Â These two square pieces will make one sandwich.Â Continue breaking crackers, you will have 8 squares.Â Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.Â Add powdered sugar and cocoa into a sifter and sift into the butter bowl.Â Combine together on low speed of mixer.Â Add vanilla, cream/milk 1 tbsp. at a time until filling is a spreadable consistency.Â Spread fillingÂ thickly on four of the graham crackers, top with remaining four crackers.
- In a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate chips.Â Dip each sandwich cookie into the chocolate, tap lightly side ofÂ bowl to drain off extra chocolate.Â Place on waxed paper to cool and harden.Â Do not try to remove until chocolate has set up.
This graham cracker sandwich recipe has many variations, here are a few fun ideas!
- Â Use marshmallow cream in the center, dip in white chocolate.
- Mix 1 tbsp. peanut butter into chocolate filling mixture, dip in milk chocolate, decorate cookie tops with crushed Reese’s Pieces.
- Omit cocoa from filling recipe, make plain vanilla, add a thin layer of strawberry jam.Â Do not dip, leave plain.
The variations are limitless, and are limited only by your imagination.
Mama’s wonderful Graham Cracker Sandwiches reassured my little scared heart.Â I’m sure they will do the same for your children, reminding them how much they are loved!