It is always surprising to look at a recipe and wonder where it originated. This recipe for Chilli Pumpkin Soup is on a nicely typed page with no reference to source. It is interesting to note that the spell check on the computer does not want to accept chilli but would rather have chili. It can be spelt both ways.
This Chilli Pumpkin Soup has a real kick to it.
- 2 ounces Butter 50 grams
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 Spring Onions chopped
- 2 Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 fresh Chillies seeded and chopped
- 8 ounce Sweet Potato peeled and cubed 225 grams
- 2 pounds 8 ounce pumpkin peeled, seeded, and cubed 1.1 kilograms
- 3 pints Beef Stock 1.7 liters
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Salt and ground Black Pepper
- 4 ounces Double Cream 125ml
- Parmesan Cheese grated
Melt butter in a large pan, add onions, and spring onions, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, chillies, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin, cook for 5 minutes. Pour over stock and add sugar and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until pumpkin is soft. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Then blend until smooth. Heat for a few minutes and adjust seasoning. Swirl some cream on top of each serving. Pass Parmesan cheese.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes to 1 hour