Mocha Au Lait and Milk Punch are milk based beverages that are great for winter entertaining.
Recipe for Mocha Au Lait
Mocha Au Lait is a smooth, warm drink that mellows the taste of the coffee. I like to use decaf coffee so I can feel free to have a second cup with out the caffeine jolt. The orange rind spirals jazz it up and make it a sophisticated entertaining beverage.
INGREDIENTS for Mocha Au Lait
- 1 cup Milk 250 mL
- â…“ cup Granulated Sugar 75 mL
- 3 tbsp Unsweetend Cocoa Powder 50 mL
- 4 cups Very Strong Hot Coffee 1 L
- Orange Rind spirals*
- Whipped Cream
- freshly grated Nutmeg
METHOD for Mocha Au Lait
In saucepan, combine milk, sugar and cocoa. Stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Blend in coffee heat gently but do not boil.
Place orange rind spiral in each of 6 heatproof mugs. Pour in coffee mixture; top with whipped cream and nutmeg. Makes 6 servings.
* To make orange rind spirals, thinly peel orange rind in continuous strips. Thread onto bamboo skewers.
Recipe for Milk Punch
This Milk Punch is a favorite of my daughter-in-law who loves Kahlua. I was not really familiar with the use of Coriander Seeds. The *Fine Cooking site had this explanation “The round, tan, papery seeds of the cilantro plant, coriander has a warm, spicy-sweet scent and flavor that’s slightly lemony, warm, and pine-y, with a whiff of caraway.”
INGREDIENTS for Milk Punch
- 2 cups Milk 500 mL
- Â¼ tsp Coriander Seeds 1 mL
- 1 stick Cinnamon 1
- Â¼ cup Kahlua 50 mL
- Â½ cup Dark Rum 125 mL
- Â½ cup Fancy Molasses 125 mL
METHOD for Milk Punch
In heavy saucepan, combine milk, coriander seeds and cinnamon. Heat gently but do not boil. Meanwhile, in each mug, place 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the Kahlua, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the rum and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the molasses. Strain hot milk mixture into prepared mugs. Makes 4 servings.
*  Fine Cooking  is one of my most favorite cooking magazines. Besides great recipes I love their articles on food handling, methods of making good food, and introduction of new kitchen equipment. I urge you to try it.